Rustic Server - Seasonal
Job Summary: Francis Ford Coppola Winery (FFCW) is a high-energy, professional workplace dedicated to offering outstanding customer service, while having fun along the way. We are looking for a server who will be responsible for providing exceptional service to our guests. This individual must be able to work well under pressure, uphold professional standards of excellence and set an example to all other employees at all times. This position does require an applicant with a flexible schedule, able to work morning and afternoon shifts, weekends, and holidays.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Safety Statement: All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or People Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Preparation for the day.
- Have the required tools to do their job for that day, such as a notepad of paper, pen, and cash change.
- Responsible for keeping all payroll paperwork current daily.
- Attend line-ups and be aware of other promotions and events that are going on at the winery.
- Be aware of what is happening across the property, read all memos and company monthly newsletters.
Restaurant area service.
- Follow all Restaurant Standard Operating Procedures.
- Perform opening and closing duties.
- Ensure the Front-of-House looks presentable to the guest.
- Look for ways to improve service, streamline efficiency and maximize revenue possibilities.
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Responsible for maintaining cleanliness and order throughout dining areas, specifically guest tables.
- Work together with culinary staff to ensure food is expedited quickly and correctly.
- Complete all side-work as directed.
- Communicate with the managers any new concept or products that can maximize guest satisfaction when visiting the winery.
- Welcome guests promptly in a warm and friendly manner.
- Check guest’s identification and confirm it meets the legal drinking age.
- Set the example of excellence in standards to other staff at all times.
- Use guest names wherever possible and be aware if they are celebrating a special occasion.
- Promote the restaurants, Coppola wines, Great Women Spirits, tasting room, wine club, and know about upcoming events on the property.
- Be knowledgeable about the menu and all food ingredients with the ability to make suggestions.
- Describe the selection of beverage menu items to guests by offering exciting, and vivid descriptions to drive sales.
- Provide wine presentations and recommendations, including Coppola Wines.
- Take food and beverage orders from guests accurately and with a positive attitude.
- Communicate guest orders, including special dietary needs, allergy, or requests, to the respective people.
- Enter orders promptly into POS for transmittal to culinary staff.
- Communicate and collaborate with the culinary staff for the prompt and correct delivery of orders.
- Ensure order timing by placing one table order at a time. Do not sandbag orders by ringing multiple table orders at once.
- Attempt to limit problems related to guests’ excessive drinking by following company procedures.
- Check-in with guests to ensure satisfaction with each food course and beverages.
- Anticipate and fulfill guest needs and requests.
- Ensure prompt and courteous attention to guest needs while providing superb overall guest support.
- Engage with and influence the guest experience.
- Serve large parties efficiently.
- Consistently exceed sales expectations by looking for opportunities to upsell.
- Acquire loyal guests and receive outstanding reviews.
- Seek ways to go above and beyond to enhance the guest experience.
- Maintain a composed, professional, and always calm demeanor.
- Communicate with service staff and managers about guest needs.
- Inform management of guests who are unhappy with the service as quickly as possible.
- Take the lead in any guest issues that may arise during your shift and communicate these to your manager on duty immediately.
- Prepare checks accurately with appropriate discounts if applicable and collect payment.
- Handle cash, credit, debit, and gift card transactions, ensuring charges are accurate and returning correct change to patrons, balancing the cash received at the end of the shift.
- Thank guests when they are departing and invite them back.
- Keep all areas clean, tidy and in compliance with the Coppola Family Vision
- Follow the Health Regulations and Safety Standards.
- Perform opening and closing duties as needed, including complete paperwork correctly after the end of every shift, and ensure that all tasks are carried out before the end of shift.
- Ensure that the Department areas are left clean and presentable at the end of each shift.
- Assist fellow team members out with additional job duties as business dictates and is required.
- Help fellow team members and other departments wherever necessary to maintain positive working relationships.
- Perform side work including, but not limited to, cleaning, stocking, polishing silverware, glassware, folding napkins, bussing, and resetting tables.
- Sweep the floor before meals service or when needed.
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day by clearing, collecting, and returning food and beverage items to proper areas.
- Inspect cleanliness and presentation of all book checks, china, glass, and silverware before use.
- Clear tables and reset them neatly and according to specification.
Important Service Standards for Rustic Restaurant Operations:
- To always show up to work on time, on the correct day and dress appropriately for their shift in accordance with our Uniform Standards.
- To be mentally prepared to work hard with a smile!
- To provide a warm welcome and a fond farewell to each guest in Rustic.
- To always know what is going on for the day.
- High School diploma or GED (General Education Diploma).
- Minimum two years serving experience.
- Comparable restaurant service background and experience.
- OpenTable and DinerWare experience is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent Communication Skills,
- Ability to work in high paced work environment.
- Ability to Multi Task, Ability to focus for an entire shift, trouble shooting and prioritizing skills.
- Ability to stand and operate equipment in excess of seven (7) hours a day.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. Ability to work in high temperatures.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Seasonal Position – April through October.
- TIPS Certification or Certified within 90 days of employment.
- CA Food Handlers certification required.
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5 + hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5 + hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 + hrs/day)
Stand-C, Walk-C, Sit-O, Handling/Fingering-F, Reaching Outward-C, Reaching Above Shoulder-F Climb-O, Crawl-O, Squat or Kneel-F, Bend-F, Working at the Computer-N
Other Physical Requirements
10 lbs or Less
12 lbs or Less
Vision (Near, Distance)
11 lbs to 20 lbs
13 lbs to 25 lbs
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/Tractor Sounds)
21 lbs to 50 lbs
26 lbs to 40 lbs
Sense of Touch
51 lbs to 100 lbs
41 lbs to 100 lbs
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Over 100 lbs
Over 100 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About The Family Coppola
The Family Coppola encompasses all of the things Francis loves most—cinema, wine, food, resorts and adventure—and embraces quality, authenticity and pleasure as a backbone to each of these vibrant business endeavors.
Our people are driven by the cultural values of respect, integrity, innovation, passion, teamwork, and embracing change. Our employees love working here for our sense of “family” community. We’ve been recognized as one of The Best Places to Work in the North Bay multiple years in a row.