Job Summary: The Host is responsible for providing exceptional service to our guests, warmly welcome guests to the Rustic Restaurant at Francis Coppola Winery, manage reservations, incoming phone calls and communicate all information effectively to entire Food and Beverage Team.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Safety Statement: All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or People Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check in with the Manager / Supervisor at the start of each shift.
- Be able to operate Open Table software with confidence and manage restaurant flow.
- Answer phones in 3 rings or less.
- Anticipate business levels for each shift.
- Return all messages and confirm upcoming reservations.
- Always have higher expectations for service levels.
- Promote the Restaurant and offerings upon seating the guests.
- Building relationships with the guests as they dine in Rustic.
- Communicate all guest information to servers prior to server greeting them at the table.
- Communicate all messages regarding managers directly to managers in a timely, accurate manner.
- Attend line ups and be aware of other promotions and events that are going on at the Winery.
- Be confident in taking the lead in any guest issues that may arise during your shift and communicate these to your manager/supervisor immediately.
- Set the example of excellence in standards to other staff at all times.
- Keep all areas clean and tidy – re Health and Safety Standards.
- Report all issues to the Manager/Supervisor.
- New products are researched that will maximize guest satisfaction when at the winery.
- Dressed appropriately for their shift in accordance to our Uniform Standards.
- Have the required tools to do their job for that day, such as pad of paper, pen etc.
- The Restaurant Operation is ready appropriate for the business levels of that day 10 minutes prior to opening.
- Check in with the Manager / Supervisor at the end of your shift.
- Completed paperwork correctly after the end of every shift.
- Ensure that all duties are carried out before the end of shift.
- Ensure that the Department areas are left clean and presentable at the end of each shift.
- Know what Rustic Parties are happening in the coming month and know the required service for each event.
- Communicate all essential operation information to your service personnel.
- Lunch Breaks are conformed to according to company guidelines.
- Assist fellow team members out with additional job duties as business dictates and is required.
- Always be looking at ways to improve service, streamline the efficiency and maximize revenue possibilities every day.
Important Service Standards for Rustic Restaurant Operations:
- To always show up to work on time, on the correct day and in correct uniform standards.
- To be mentally prepared to work hard with a smile!
- To provide a warm welcome and a fond farewell to each guest in Rustic.
- To always know what is going on for the day.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A.
- High School diploma or GED (General Education Diploma).
- Minimum 6 months Host experience.
- Restaurant service background and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Ability to work in high paced work environment.
- Ability to Multi Task.
- Ability to focus for an entire shift.
- Trouble shooting and prioritizing skills.
- Ability to stand and operate equipment in excess of seven (7) hours a day.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays
- CA Food Handlers Certification required.
- TIPS Certification or Certified within 90 days of employment.
- Seasonal Position – April through October.
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5 + hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5 + hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 + hrs/day)
Stand-C, Walk-C, Sit-O, Handling/Fingering-F, Reaching Outward-O, Reaching Above Shoulder-O Climb-N, Crawl-N, Squat or Kneel-F, Bend-F, Working at the Computer-F
Other Physical Requirements
10 lbs or Less
12 lbs or Less
Vision (Near, Distance)
11 lbs to 20 lbs
13 lbs to 25 lbs
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/Tractor Sounds)
21 lbs to 50 lbs
26 lbs to 40 lbs
Sense of Touch
51 lbs to 100 lbs
41 lbs to 100 lbs
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Over 100 lbs
Over 100 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.