Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Under direct supervision complete work assignment and work orders received from Winemaker and / or Cellar Operations Manager.
• Perform, document and report lab analysis and QC
• Keep records and accurately document all cellar operations.
• Perform necessary volume calculations for wine blending and wine movements.
• Prepare wine batches for bottling.
• Transfer, rack, filter, and blend wines as directed.
• Mix tanks heat and cold stabilize.
• Gas head space on partial tanks on a weekly basis.
• Accurately make chemical and yeast additions to wine and juice.
• Responsible for sanitation of cellar area equipment and tanks.
• Sample tanks as needed or directed.
• Report and monitor all wine inventory.
• Keep inventory of cellar supplies. Request orders as needed.
• Monitor temperature of wine tanks.
• Perform all setup and cleanup activities.
• Perform wine barrel work.
• Occasional hand labeling.
• Operate forklift as needed.
• Participate in seasonal harvest-related work as assigned.
• Responsible for sanitation of all areas of cellar operations
• Sterilizes casks, tanks, and other equipment
• Operate pumps and filters to blend and clarify
• Check and top tanks to proper fill levels
• Operate crusher and presses, move hoses and equipment, obtain lab samples, and clean equipment
• May handle shipping and receiving of tanker trucks
• High school diploma or GED.
• Min. 6 months prior training and experience in the wine cellar
• Must be proficient in MS Excel & Word
• Must have good arithmetic skills.
• Ability to promote Safety
• Must be able to communicate effectively in English, written and spoken.
• Must have complete knowledge of the operation and proper application of cellar equipment.
• Filter operation: pad type lees, and membrane filters.
• Pump operation: centrifugal, air-diaphragm, flexible impeller (Jabsco), rotary vane (Waukeshaw), Bulldog’s pup.
• Understanding of standard sanitation practices for cellar equipment and bottling line.
• Knowledge of common cellar chemicals and how to use them safely and correctly.
• Wine knowledge
• Ability to lift 60lbs and walk on uneven surfaces.
Other: (Includes licenses, certificates, age, etc.)
• Able to work with others and/or independently.
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5+hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5+ hrs/day)
C(Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Stand-C , Walk-F, Sit-O, Handling/Fingering-F , Reaching Outward-O, Reaching Above Shoulder-O, Climb-F , Crawl-O, Squat or Kneel-O, Bend-F, Working at the computer-O
10 lbs or Less-F
11 – 20 lbs-O
21 – 50 lbs-O
51 – 100 lbs-O
Over 100 lbs-O
12 lbs or Less-F
13 – 25 lbs-O
26 – 40 lbs-O
41 – 100 lbs-O
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Distance)
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/tractor sounds)
Sense of Touch
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Work Environment: Must be able to work outdoors in variable weather conditions.