Job Summary: The Assistant Manager, Pool Operations duty is to assign staff and assist with oversight of the pool and park area for the overall protection and the safety of guests both in, and around the water. The Lifeguard has a professional obligation to prevent potential accidents by enforcing the rules and regulations of an aquatic setting and to react to any emergencies that occur.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Safety Statement: All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or People Operations.
Supervisors and Leads are fundamentally responsible for ensuring safety in their own departments and to uphold the following safety standards:
- Demonstrate a positive attitude toward safety
- Ensure work is performed in a safe manner and all safety rules, regulations and instructions are in compliance
- Report and investigate workplace injuries in a timely manner; identifies ways to eliminate risk of reoccurrence; complete audits; conduct monthly safety meetings and trainings; maintain compliance with hazardous materials program; inform/train new employees on specific safety aspects and procedures with the department and location; participate in monthly management safety meetings
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees daily operation of the lifeguard team.
- Review daily logs and complete monthly reports, as required by the Health Department and the Company.
- Proper train and supervise lifeguards in maintaining proper pool chemistry, temperature, Health Department regulations, Certified Pool Operator standards and general pool environment.
- Performs the tasks of the Lifeguard Instructor for existing Lifeguard Staff.
- Ensures and maintains safety, order and cleanliness in and around pool area and of all persons in and around pool area.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining pool maintenance as needed.
- Enforce pool rules and facility regulations.
- Create an incident investigation report if any accident or rescues occur and work with Safety Department representatives in completing all follow-up actions.
- Manage the pool area for opening and closing as required.
- Work with the Guest Services Manager to ensure that safe occupancy levels are maintained in the pool at all times.
- Conduct in-service training sessions as well as any others deemed necessary by the company.
- Ensure lifeguards are maintaining a high level of customer service and monitoring all safety protocols.
- Perform other tasks and/or related duties as assigned or required by management and supervisors when necessary.
- Utilize independent judgment concerning work methods and procedures.
- Communicate and make team aware of guests who are at risk: weak swimmers, breaking rules or overly intoxicated.
- Field customer inquiries and provides customer service and support for all areas of the property.
- Monitor inventory of first aid supplies for the Hospitality operation and order as needed.
- Monitor inventory of pool chemicals and supplies and order as needed.
- Work with the Maintenance Department and vendors to maintain the equipment and systems for the pool.
- Assist in the hiring and training of new lifeguards.
- Partner with the Safety Department on applicable safety training and incident investigations.
20% Guest Service:
- Assure that the Lifeguard team greets guests promptly and warmly while maintaining observational vigilance of the guests in the pool and on the pool deck.
- Create a safe environment for all guests who enter the property.
- Educate and promote property features.
- Be consistently professional in all of your communication; verbal, written and non-verbal.
- Ensure messaging is consistent and is in line with direction given by your manager.
- Respond to guest inquiries and concerns promptly and with courtesy.
- Keep up-to-date regarding local and company events, communicating information appropriately to customers.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Lifeguard staff.
- Previous lifeguard experience.
- Previous supervisory experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must possess good oral communication skills.
- Must be able to read, and interpret printed material and illustrations.
- Must be able to remain calm and rational in emergencies.
- Must have good eye-hand coordination.
- Must be able to:
- Anticipate how and where incidents will occur.
- Think critically about the complications that might be present in real situations.
- Act in a professional manner.
- Protect your safety and well-being as well as the safety and well-being of guests.
- Ability to make sound decisions that comply to company policies when dealing in adverse situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively with public, guests and staff members.
- Able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- Able to visually inspect conditions of pools and swimmers with 20/20 vision in both eyes (with or without corrective lenses).
- Wear approved uniform and any necessary job-related safety equipment during assigned shift or anytime while on duty.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently.
- Able to hear noises and sounds of distress even outside one's vision.
- Able to communicate verbally including projecting the voice across large distances.
- Warm, personable demeanor, flexible and a team player.
- Customer Service focused with a sincere desire to create a memorable guest experience.
- Self-motivated and professional with the ability to multi-task.
- Highly organized, accurate and detail oriented.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by communicating effectively with clients, management, peers, and subordinates.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, reach, stretch, and climb without any difficulty.
- Able to tread water without using hands or arms for a period of two-minutes.
- Works in tiring or uncomfortable positions for long periods of time.
- Able to work in team environment as a team member and as team leader.
- Lifeguarding – American Red Cross.
- Lifeguard Instructor – American Red Cross.
- CPR - American Red Cross.
- First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22) employee may obtain this within six months of hire date.
- Weekends, Holiday and some evenings required.
- TIPS Certification or Certified within 90 days of employment.
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5 + hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5 + hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 + hrs/day)
Stand-F, Walk-F, Sit-F, Handling/Fingering-F, Reaching Outward-F, Reaching Above Shoulder-F, Climb-C, Crawl-O, Squat or Kneel-F, Bend-F, Working at the Computer-O
Other Physical Requirements
10 lbs or Less
12 lbs or Less
Vision (Near, Distance)
11 lbs to 20 lbs
13 lbs to 25 lbs
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/Tractor Sounds)
21 lbs to 50 lbs
26 lbs to 40 lbs
Sense of Touch
51 lbs to 100 lbs
41 lbs to 100 lbs
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Over 100 lbs
Over 100 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must work in environmental conditions that include, but not limited to:
- Wet and humid environments.
- Outdoor environmental conditions with up to 90% humidity and temperatures ranging from 40F to 120 F.
- Exposure to chemicals, fumes, dirt, caustic chemicals, acids, odors, waste, and dust
- Uniformed position – with bathing suit required.