Job Summary: The Bartender is responsible for providing bar guests with a fun and positive experience as well as mixing and providing beverages for all restaurant guests.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Safety Statement: All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or People Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Check in with Lead Bartender/Food and Beverage Manager at the start of each shift.
- Anticipate business levels for each shift.
- Always have higher expectations for service levels.
- Promote the Restaurants.
- Promote up selling of products and House Wines.
- Be aware of other promotions and events that are going on at the Winery.
- Be confident in taking the lead in any guest issues that may arise during your shift.
- Set an example to other servers at all times.
- Ensure that the Department areas are left presentable at the end of each shift.
- Keep all areas clean and tidy – re Health and Safety Standards.
- Report all issues to the Lead Bartender or Food and beverage Manager.
- Trained to work all Front of House operations of Food and Beverage at the Winery.
- New products are researched that will maximize guest satisfaction when they are at the bar operation.
- Dressed appropriately for their shift.
- Have the required tools to do your job for that day (Pen, Paper, Keys, Wine Key).
- The Bar Operation is ready and appropriate for the business levels expected.
- Completed paperwork correctly after the end of every shift.
- Check in with Lead Bartender / Food and Beverage Manager at the end of each shift.
- Know what Special Events are happening in the coming month and know the required service for each event.
- Communicate all essential operation information to your service personnel.
- Lunch Breaks are conformed to according to company guidelines.
- Always be looking at ways to improve service, streamline the efficiency and maximize revenue possibilities every day.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A.
- High School diploma or GED (General Education Diploma).
- Minimum of 2 years’ restaurant experience.
- Bartending Certification and or proven bartending experience is a must.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Basic English speaking and reading skills desired.
- Ability to stand and operate equipment in excess of seven (7) hours a day.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- CA Food Handlers Certification required.
- TIPS Certification or Certified within 90 days of employment.
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5 + hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5 + hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 + hrs/day)
Stand-C, Walk-C, Sit-O, Handling/Fingering-F, Reaching Outward-C, Reaching Above Shoulder-F, Climb-O, Crawl-O, Squat or Kneel-F, Bend-F, Working at the Computer-N
Other Physical Requirements
10 lbs or Less
12 lbs or Less
Vision (Near, Distance)
11 lbs to 20 lbs
13 lbs to 25 lbs
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/Tractor Sounds)
21 lbs to 50 lbs
26 lbs to 40 lbs
Sense of Touch
51 lbs to 100 lbs
41 lbs to 100 lbs
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Over 100 lbs
Over 100 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Turn lights on.
- Sign into the computer POS system.
- Checks register tape and ink in all printer machines.
- Unlock all doors and fridges
- Fill Ice Bin in Bar Area (4 buckets).
- Keys in lock box: unlock all locks including well liquor, beer taps, and canned beverage cooler and bottled beer cooler.
- Take out bar condiments (i.e. lemons, limes and cherries) - Make sure all look and smell fresh – refresh as necessary.
- Brew Ice Tea and Lemonade.
- Bring out juice containers from bottled cooler - Make sure all look and smell fresh (OJ, Cranberry, Grapefruit) – Refresh as necessary.
- Turn on dishwasher, Drain water & Clean Tray then turn switch to run, and turn temp gauge to 160 degrees.
- Go around the bar and wipe down all service area, check for crumbs on all seats and that the bar looks presentable with chairs aligned to position settings.
- Polish silverware and stock 2 tubs of roll ups.
- Put away the requisition from the previous night.
- Clean under Ice Tea & Coffee Brewer – Cappuccino Machine.
- Replace Dirty linen bag in kitchen.
- Stock all cups, lids, straws, swords, toothpicks, napkins and sugars.
- Wipe computer screens.
- Stock and Marry ketchup/mustard bottles/salt and pepper shakers and additional condiments.
- Restock Beverage napkins for bar area.
- Check Open Table for any large table booking and set bar accordingly.
- Always are prepared to be busy for all meal periods.
- Make sure you have pitchers of iced water ready for service.
- Clean the drain under the beer/soda/wine cooler once a month.
- Restock and polish all glassware required for service.
- Restock pens and pads of paper.
- Wipe clean liquor bottles.
During Service Procedures:
- Be available and on the floor at all times during service - If you have to leave for any reason, let your supervisor know.
- Pour and make drinks for the guests as requested by the servers.
- Pour and make drinks for the guests as requested by the guests themselves when at the bar.
- Immediately greet the guests as the approach the bar, even if you are in the middle of making a drink for a generated ticket from a server.
- Prepare the guests drink as they asked and serve in appropriate glass with garnish.
- Ask the guest for their name and process the ticket for their drink.
- Obtain payment and a signature from the guest immediately upon pouring the drink.
- If the guest wishes to open a tab, obtain the credit card and swipe through the POS system to open a tab for them.
- Communicate with the server that you have a tab for that guest and transfer to them if necessary.
- Attempt to close tickets out at every opportunity you have throughout the day.
- If the guest wishes to order food at the bar, take the order and send ticket to the kitchen.
- When food is ready, ask the Assistant server to collect from the bar and deliver to the guest.
- Always be on hand for the guest throughout their experience with you.
- Order items you have depleted throughout the day on a requisition form located in back room.
- Turn requisition form into the purchasing office located next to the break-room
- Transfer all juices on ice to clean containers and fill each one to the top. Put away in cooler.
- Transfer bar condiments (i.e. limes, olives and cherries) to clean containers. Cut new limes and lemons in needed and put in cooler.
- Stock cold lids, cold cups, swords, straws and ties.
- Empty and clean smoothie machine and Ice Tea containers.
- Make sure coffee and Ice Tea are ready to brew.
- Wash beer grate under tops along with bar mats in glass-washer.
- Wipe entire bar down with hot cloth and designated sanitizer.
- Clean all glassware and stack neatly in appropriate places.
- Empty dishwasher (including crud catcher underneath).
- Turn off dishwasher and turn temp gauge to 0.
- Fill out Closing Shift Checklist to make sure that you have done everything required.
- Wipe clean liquor bottles.
- Clean fridge coolers for spills.
- Deep clean and sanitize fridge coolers once a month.
- Mop bar floor service.
Lock Down Procedures:
- Keys located in Kitchen.
- Pull cover over well liquor and lock.
- Pull cover down over Liquor shelves.
- Lock bottled beer cooler.
- Lock canned beverage cooler.
- Turn off lights.
- Turn off POS computer System.
Closing Paperwork Procedures:
- Print server report, area all report, End of Day Cash Bar Balancing.
- Ensure all tickets match up to your Server report.
- Clock out of POS system.
- Exit system and shut down computer.
- Do your drop (located in accounting).
- If there are any Paperwork discrepancies leave a note in the F&B Managers office.
- DO NOT leave without completing your paperwork and running all reports.