Host - Seasonal
Job Summary: The Host is responsible for providing exceptional service to our guests, warmly welcome guests to the Rustic Restaurant at Francis Coppola Winery, manage reservations, incoming phone calls and communicate all information effectively to entire Food and Beverage Team.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Safety Statement: All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or People Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Preparation for the day.
- Check-in with the Manager / Supervisor at the start of each shift.
- Have the required tools to do their job for that day, such as a notepad of paper, pen, and a charged iPad.
- The Restaurant Operation is ready to appropriate for the business levels of that day ten (10) minutes before opening.
- Ensure the Front-of-House looks presentable to the guest.
- Attend line ups and be aware of other promotions and events that are going on at the Winery.
- Always have higher expectations for service levels.
Oversee the seating plan.
- Monitor restaurant activity to determine seating and dining flow.
- Communicate all messages regarding managers directly to managers in a timely, accurate manner.
- Report all issues to the Manager/Supervisor.
- Know what Rustic Parties are happening in the coming month and know the required service for each event.
- Communicate all essential operation information to your service personnel.
- Lunch Breaks are conformed to according to company guidelines.
- Keep the host stand clean, organized and menus stocked.
Schedule phone and online reservations.
- Ability to operate Yelp Reservation system with confidence and manage restaurant flow.
- Ability to check Tock Reservations and inform the Manager on Duty if an online order is placed.
- Answer phones within the first three (3) rings.
- Anticipate business levels for each shift.
- Return all messages and confirm upcoming reservations.
- Welcome guests in a warm and friendly manner.
- Respond to guest inquiries and requests in a timely, friendly, and efficient manner.
- Promote the Restaurant and offerings upon seating the guests.
- Building relationships with the guests as they dine in Rustic.
- Communicate all guest information to servers before the server greets them at the table.
- Communicate with service staff and managers about guest needs.
- Provide accurate chit information (Wine Family Member, House Account, and Trade Guests).
- Be confident in taking the lead in any guest issues that may arise during your shift and communicate these to your manager/supervisor immediately.
- Always set the example of excellence in standards to other staff.
- Maintain a composed, professional, and always calm demeanor.
- Always be looking at ways to improve service, streamline the efficiency and maximize revenue possibilities every day.
- Deliver beverage and food dishes orders placed by servers and deliver the meals and drinks to the restaurant guests.
- Follow our company restaurant Standard Operating Procedures.
- Thank guests when they are departing and invite them back.
Assist in restaurant maintenance.
- Keep all areas clean and tidy – re Health and Safety Standards.
- Perform opening and closing duties as needed, including complete paperwork correctly after the end of every shift, and ensure that all tasks are carried out before the end of shift.
- Ensure that the Department areas are left clean and presentable at the end of each shift.
- Assist fellow team members out with additional job duties as business dictates and is required.
- Help fellow team members and other departments wherever necessary to maintain positive working relationships.
- Assist servers with side work including, but not limited to, cleaning, stocking, polishing silverware, glassware, folding silverware, bussing, and resetting tables.
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas throughout the day by clearing, collecting, and returning food and beverage items to proper areas.
- Inspect cleanliness and presentation of all china, glass, and silver before use.
- Clear tables and reset them neatly and according to specification.
- New products are researched that will maximize guest satisfaction when at the winery.
Important Service Standards for Rustic Restaurant Operations:
- To always show up to work on time, on the correct day, and dress appropriately for their shift following our Uniform Standards.
- To be mentally prepared to work hard with a smile!
- To provide a warm welcome and a fond farewell to each guest in Rustic.
- To always know what is going on for the day.
Supervisory Responsibilities: N/A.
- High School diploma or GED (General Education Diploma).
- Minimum 6 months Host experience.
- Restaurant service background and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Ability to work in high paced work environment.
- Ability to Multi Task.
- Ability to focus for an entire shift.
- Trouble shooting and prioritizing skills.
- Ability to stand and operate equipment in excess of seven (7) hours a day.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to work weekends and holidays
- CA Food Handlers Certification required.
- TIPS Certification or Certified within 90 days of employment.
- Seasonal Position – April through October.
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5 + hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5 + hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 + hrs/day)
Stand-C, Walk-C, Sit-O, Handling/Fingering-F, Reaching Outward-O, Reaching Above Shoulder-O Climb-N, Crawl-N, Squat or Kneel-F, Bend-F, Working at the Computer-F
Other Physical Requirements
10 lbs or Less
12 lbs or Less
Vision (Near, Distance)
11 lbs to 20 lbs
13 lbs to 25 lbs
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/Tractor Sounds)
21 lbs to 50 lbs
26 lbs to 40 lbs
Sense of Touch
51 lbs to 100 lbs
41 lbs to 100 lbs
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Over 100 lbs
Over 100 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About The Family Coppola
The Family Coppola encompasses all of the things Francis loves most—cinema, wine, food, resorts and adventure—and embraces quality, authenticity and pleasure as a backbone to each of these vibrant business endeavors.
Our people are driven by the cultural values of respect, integrity, innovation, passion, teamwork, and embracing change. Our employees love working here for our sense of “family” community. We’ve been recognized as one of The Best Places to Work in the North Bay multiple years in a row.