Senior Cellar Technician
Job Summary: The Senior Cellar Tech is a very experienced position in the cellar, performing all wine, bottling and barrel operations. Senior Cellar Tech positions perform all of the Cellar Worker 1 and Cellar Worker 2 tasks. In addition, they understand the use of all equipment, including that on the crush pad. Senior Cellar Techs train staff on new tasks, solve problems, provide leadership and promote a positive team atmosphere.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Safety Statement: All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or People Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: For a more specific list of duties, see the skills matrix for Senior Cellar Tech at the end of the job description.
- 50%: Wine moves from barrels or tanks, shipping and receiving bulk wine loads, wine additions with an emphasis on operating specialty equipment and complex moves. Trains staff on set ups and techniques that ensure wine quality parameters are met.40% Sales & Service.
- 25%: Sanitation of tanks, barrels, equipment or the work area, set up of tanks, hoses and pumps for wine moves. Ensures that staff is properly trained in sanitation and is meeting the standard. Regularly inspects the winery equipment for cleanliness and address issues with supervisor and staff.
- 10%: Provides training to Cellar Worker 1 and 2 staff members on basic and more advance wine operations. Leads the crew in the absence of the Team Leader. Takes the initiative to get multiple jobs going and understands how to multi-task without putting the wine at risk.
- 10%: Measuring and calculating volumes after wine moves, completing work orders, recording bulk barrel or dry goods inventory. Recognizes anomalies in measurements and investigates losses that exceed normal operations.
- 5%: Attending annual safety training as required for position and refresher training as needed, using and maintaining personal protective equipment as specified for cellar tasks. Promotes safety awareness amongst the staff and demonstrates proper safety in work habits.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Will lead the crew (4-6 people) in the absence of the Team Leader and with the direction of the Cellar Master.
- High school degree, ability to perform more complex math calculations.
- Three to five years of experience in a winery or similar industry is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of grape and wine production process is required, previous winery harvest experience is required, ability to work as a team member essential.
- Able to read and write in English.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5 + hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5 + hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 + hrs/day)
Stand-C, Walk-C, Sit-O, Handling/Fingering-C, Reaching Outward-F, Reaching Above Shoulder-O
Climb-O, Crawl-O, Squat or Kneel-O, Bend-O, Working at the Computer-O
Other Physical Requirements
10 lbs or Less
12 lbs or Less
Vision (Near, Distance)
11 lbs to 20 lbs
13 lbs to 25 lbs
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/Tractor Sounds)
21 lbs to 50 lbs
26 lbs to 40 lbs
Sense of Touch
51 lbs to 100 lbs
41 lbs to 100 lbs
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - steel toe boots, safety glasses, etc.
Over 100 lbs
Over 100 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Senior Wine Tech positions may be required to work on any shift (day, swing, or graveyard) for given periods of time. The work in this position occurs in an environment that can be wet or dry, cold or warm, indoors or outdoors.
We offer competitive salary, medical insurance, including Dental, Vision EAP, Wellness and Creative Reimbursements, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account with Medical and Dependent care pre-tax benefits (FSA), and 401K with company matching. Winery, Restaurant, and Resort discounts available.