This position partners with Hospitality managers to achieve business objectives while ensuring fair and equitable treatment of all employees. Work with management and employees to address employee relations issues. This position is broad in nature, addressing and managing change and facilitating operational initiatives (performance management, employee relations, workforce planning, staff development, recruitment and retention). Work with the HR department to establish, maintain, and administer HR practices consistently.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Safety Statement: All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or People Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Client Group Management: (60%)
- Investigate and work with managers to recommend, develop and initiate appropriate interventions and strategies to assist with effectively addressing employee relations issues ensuring fair and equitable treatment of all employees.
- Facilitate/mediate conflict resolution with managers and employees.
- Manage disciplinary process with thorough documentation and follow-up.
- Research and evaluate workplace issues, recommending appropriate action and follow-up.
- Ensure services provided to these clients are flawless, while serving as the focal point for maintaining an environment fostering continuous improvement and proactively insuring that the work environment reflects its core values.
- Works with managers through supervisory coaching and people-management skills to promote positive and productive work environment maximizing the value of the employees.
- Facilitates and acts as a conduit for feedback and communication between employees and management.
- Ensures legally required training is completed for all employees in the client group.
- Work with client group managers and employees to create buy-in, cooperation and to build efficiencies to help achieve business goals consistent with the vision and values of the company
- Identify, recommend, evaluate and actively participate in training, career development and succession planning programs.
- Conduct exit interviews, analyze results to determine trends, make recommendations and develop, action plans/programs that provide for continuous improvement and employee retention.
- Actively maintain and constantly develop own knowledge base and understanding of regulations, industry trends, best practices, new developments and applicable laws. Interprets appropriate laws and policies.
- Consult with legal counsel as appropriate and ensure compliance of company practices and procedures with all state and federal labor laws and regulations.
- Manage the client group performance management program to ensure effectiveness, compliance and equity within the company.
- Assist managers with the development, review and revision of job descriptions.
- Provide recommendations, advise and coach managers regarding identifying areas for improvement for employees. Assists with developing performance improvement plans and/or developing strategies for improving employee performance, i.e. “raising the bar” in order to achieve a higher level of employee/department performance
- Provide leadership support to managers on matters regarding goal-setting, policy development and strategic implementation in support of achieving overall company goals and business growth.
- Promotes safety awareness and compliance and assists management in guaranteeing a safe and secure working environment while maintaining compliance with Cal-OSHA standards.
- Partner with Hospitality managers to create a seasonal recruiting strategy for Tasting Room, Restaurant and Pool staff.
- Manage all open positions within the client group in a timely manner, providing an exceptional candidate experience.
- Creatively source and advertise open positions. Plan and execute Hiring Events on property and promote internal Employee Referral incentives.
- Manage relationships with public and private agencies, colleges and universities, high schools and community groups.
- Manage the candidate interview process including offers, background checks and setting up new hires for New Employee Orientation (NEO), new hire paperwork and training.
- Develops and maintains recruitment reports and files in ATS.
- Insures the timely and accurate processing of all Human Resources information and data.
Human Resources/Team Support: (10%)
- Working with HR Department, help design and administer policies within the objectives and philosophy of the organization and within legal framework.
- Champions a culture that promotes employee engagement and an environment where high performance is achieved with adaptability to change.
- Actively participate in the administration of the wage and salary program to ensure equity within the company. Work with managers, employees on the job evaluation process to provide analyses and compensation recommendations, determine salary ranges and the appropriateness of promotions and salary adjustment recommendations.
- Ensure information in the HRIS system is accurate and up to date. Responsible for creating reports and using the HRIS database for critical analyses of the HR function.
- Participate and support the entire HR team through advisory and HR-related projects as needed.
Education/Experience: Minimum of 5 years of significant human resources management experience, Hospitality focused preferred. BA degree in Human Resources/Industrial Relations, Sociology, Psychology, Business or equivalent experience.
Skills: Able to maintain confidentiality. Exceptional interpersonal, communications and management skills. Strong conceptual and problem-solving skills. Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Strong presentation skills. Exceptional customer service skills. Ability to work well with all levels within the organization. Team oriented. Computer skills for developing and utilizing spreadsheets, presentations and word processing (Excel, Power Point, Word). Able to handle multiple competing tasks and priorities.
Ability to objectively coach employees and management through complex, difficult and emotional issues.
Must have ability to make recommendation to effectively resolve problems or issues, by using judgment that is consistent with standards, practices, policies, procedures, regulations or government law.
Knowledge: Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of human resources administration; knowledge of HRIS and ATS (Jobvite) systems and HR legal framework. Wine industry, retail, hospitality and/or manufacturing human resources experience.
PHR or SPHR preferred.
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5 + hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5 + hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 + hrs/day)
Stand-O, Walk-F, Sit-C, Handling/Fingering-O, Reaching Outward-F, Reaching Above Shoulder-F, Climb-O, Crawl-O, Squat or Kneel-O, Bend-F, Working at the Computer-C
Other Physical Requirements
10 lbs or Less
12 lbs or Less
Vision (Near, Distance)
11 lbs to 20 lbs
13 lbs to 25 lbs
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/Tractor Sounds)
21 lbs to 50 lbs
26 lbs to 40 lbs
Sense of Touch
51 lbs to 100 lbs
41 lbs to 100 lbs
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Over 100 lbs
Over 100 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We offer competitive salary, medical insurance, including Dental, Vision EAP, Wellness Program, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account with Medical and Dependent care pre-tax benefits (FSA), and 401K with company matching. Winery, Café, and Resort discounts available.