The Vineyard Manager under the direction of the Director of Grower Relations will oversee the operations of the Francis Ford Coppola Winery vineyard acres and will coordinate with the current Vineyard Management company to ensure vineyard cultural practices are performed on time and within budget. This position will also assist with irrigation, fertilization, frost protection, minor equipment repairs, spraying and general maintenance of Estate Vineyards.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or Human Resources.
Supervisors and Leads are fundamentally responsible for ensuring safety in their own departments and to uphold the following safety standards:
- Demonstrate a positive attitude toward safety
- Ensure work is performed in a safe manner and all safety rules, regulations and instructions are in compliance
- Report and investigate workplace injuries in a timely manner; identifies ways to eliminate risk of reoccurrence; complete audits; conduct monthly safety meetings and trainings; maintain compliance with hazardous materials program; inform/train new employees on specific safety aspects and procedures with the department and location; participate in monthly management safety meetings
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Continually evaluate vineyards for conditions such as rot, mildew, presence of insect pest, bird damage, vine collapse, and vine and leaf appearance.
- Provide oversight and direction to the Vineyard Management company to assure that the appropriate levels of vineyards inputs are meeting the requirements for each block.
- Be in each vineyard on a weekly or bi-weekly basis to follow up and assure that day-to-day viticulture activities are occurring according to plan, including pruning, shoot removal, crop adjustments, irrigation, fertility, tissue, soil and water testing
- Work with vineyard irrigation consultant on vineyard irrigation needs during growing season.
- Contribute to innovation and change which improves efficiency and quality
- Maintain sustainable programs (i.e. CSWA and Fish Friendly Farming)
- Work closely with vendors and external organizations such as: pump and irrigation companies, Ag Commissioners Office and VESCO
- Work closely with Director of Grower Relations to schedule grape deliveries to wineries during harvest
- Apply pesticide and other material applications to the vineyards, calibrate sprayers
- Completes pesticide reporting
- Perform General maintenance in vineyards and surrounding property.
- Operate tractors with various implements
- Supervise vineyard foreman
- 2-5 Years of proven, vineyard management experience. A Bachelor’s degree in Viticulture, Agriculture, or equivalent experience.
- Strong leadership, organizational, and management skills.
- Supervise and train seasonal employees.
- Proficient in Data Management, Microsoft Word processing, Excel, Email, and utilization of the Internet.
- Able to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Have basic carpentry and mechanical skills and knowledge
- Basic understanding of the winemaking process and winery operations.
- Thorough understanding of basic viticulture (irrigation management, grapevine pruning and training, canopy management, grapevine nutrition management, fertilization, pest and disease management) and the ability to relate and communicate this knowledge to wine grape growers.
- Able to repetitively lift or carry 40 to 50 pounds for short periods of time.
- Able to work outdoors in variable weather conditions.
- Must have a valid class A California Drivers’ License and a clean driving record.
- Must have Private Applicators Certificate
- Forklift Certification
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5+hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
Stand-F, Walk-F, Sit-F, Handling/Fingering-F, Reaching Outward-F, Reaching Above Shoulder-F, Climb-F, Crawl-F, Squat or Kneel-O, Bend-O, Working at the computer-O
10 lbs or Less, F
11 – 20 lbs, F
21 – 50 lbs, F
51 – 100 lbs, O
Over 100 lbs, N
12 lbs or Less, O
13 – 25 lbs, O
26 – 40 lbs, N
41 – 100 lbs, N
Other Physical Requirements:
Vision (Near, Distance)
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/tractor sounds)
Sense of Touch
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) (Steel toe boots, safety glasses)
- Ability to travel to and from vineyards and properties.
- Able to work outdoors in the varying terrain and weather.