This is an entry level Cellar position with capability to perform, and be a central part of our wine making team, various work assignments to include: racking, pumping, clarifying and blending of juice and wine; Operate and care for filters, pumps, presses, hoses and other cellar equipment; handle shipping and receiving of everything from cases of wine to tanker trucks; perform sanitation of cellar equipment including casks and tanks; check temperature of tanks during fermentation, stabilization and storage.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
All employees shall follow safe practices according to the Injury and Illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or Human Resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under direct supervision complete work assignment and work orders received from Winemaker and / or Cellar Operations Manager.
• Perform, document and report lab analysis and QC
• Keep records and accurately document all cellar operations.
• Perform necessary volume calculations for wine blending and wine movements.
• Prepare wine batches for bottling.
• Transfer, rack, filter, and blend wines as directed.
• Mix tanks heat and cold stabilize.
• Gas head space on partial tanks on a weekly basis.
• Accurately make chemical and yeast additions to wine and juice.
• Responsible for sanitation of cellar area equipment and tanks.
• Sample tanks as needed or directed.
• Report and monitor all wine inventory.
• Keep inventory of cellar supplies. Request orders as needed.
• Monitor temperature of wine tanks.
• Perform all setup and cleanup activities.
• Perform wine barrel work.
• Occasional hand labeling.
• Operate forklift as needed.
• Participate in seasonal harvest-related work as assigned.
- Responsible for sanitation of all areas of cellar operations
- Sterilizes casks, tanks, and other equipment
- Operate pumps and filters to blend and clarify
- Check and top tanks to proper fill levels
- Operate crusher and presses, move hoses and equipment, obtain lab samples, and clean equipment
- May handle shipping and receiving of tanker trucks
- High school diploma or GED.
- Min. 6 months prior training and experience in the wine cellar
- Must be proficient in MS Excel & Word
• Must have good arithmetic skills.
• Ability to promote Safety
• Must be able to communicate effectively in English, written and spoken.
• Understanding of standard sanitation practices for cellar equipment and bottling line.
- Wine knowledge
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5 + hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5 + hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 + hrs/day)
Stand-C, Walk-C, Sit-O, Handling/Fingering-C, Reaching Outward-F, Reaching Above Shoulder-O
Climb-O, Crawl-O, Squat or Kneel-O, Bend-O, Working at the Computer-O
Other Physical Requirements
10 lbs or Less
12 lbs or Less
Vision (Near, Distance)
11 lbs to 20 lbs
13 lbs to 25 lbs
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/Tractor Sounds)
21 lbs to 50 lbs
26 lbs to 40 lbs
Sense of Touch
51 lbs to 100 lbs
41 lbs to 100 lbs
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - steel toe boots, safety glasses, etc.
Over 100 lbs
Over 100 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Senior Wine Tech positions may be required to work on any shift (day, swing, or graveyard) for given periods of time. The work in this position occurs in an environment that can be wet or dry, cold or warm, indoors or outdoors.
We offer competitive salary, medical insurance, including Dental, Vision EAP, Wellness and Creative Reimbursements, Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account with Medical and Dependent care pre-tax benefits (FSA), and 401K with company matching. Winery, Restaurant, and Resort discounts available.