Manager, Tasting Room
Job Summary: This position will be responsible for a dynamic retail and wine education team in our high-volume, high-profile tasting room. The Manager will be expected to lead the team in promoting the sales of wine and non-wine merchandise, promote and execute tastings, tours and experience programs and set the example and expectations of exceptional customer service.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Safety Statement: All employees shall follow safe practices according to the injury and illness Prevention Policy (IIPP), render every possible aid to safe operations, and report all unsafe conditions or practices immediately to any management employee or People Operations.
Supervisors and Leads are fundamentally responsible for ensuring safety in their own departments and to uphold the following safety standards:
- Demonstrate a positive attitude toward safety
- Ensure work is performed in a safe manner and all safety rules, regulations and instructions are in compliance
- Report and investigate workplace injuries in a timely manner; identifies ways to eliminate risk of reoccurrence; complete audits; conduct monthly safety meetings and trainings; maintain compliance with hazardous materials program; inform/train new employees on specific safety aspects and procedures with the department and location; participate in monthly management safety meetings
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Hire, manage, coach and lead the Tasting Room staff. Provide leadership for all Hospitality and Rustic staff.
- Drive company focus, manage culture, encourage a strong work ethic, and foster an environment of trust and respect.
- Oversee planning, assigning, and directing tasks and projects for Tasting Room.
- Develop and streamline processes and procedures to create operational efficiencies and reduction in cost.
- Ensure the TR staff receives the appropriate level of sales, product and general wine education and training.
- Recognize and address performance strengths and challenges of the staff. Handle employee issues, concerns, and complaints in an objective, professional and confidential manner.
- Document all performance accomplishments and challenges with appropriate positive or constructive feedback.
- Assist with the writing and delivering annual performance evaluations.
- Maintain consistent communications with management and staff as needed so they are updated and prepared for any changes in the operation.
- Maintain professional and timely communications with other department heads to assure continuity and success of shared activities and responsibilities.
- Ensure that each shift is properly scheduled and running smoothly.
- Act in role of Manager on Duty of the property as needed
- During emergencies and challenges, act in an elevated role to coordinate guest and staff safety and mitigate risk.
- Be consistently professional in all of your communication; verbal, written and non-verbal
- Ensure policies and directives are in line with direction given by your supervisor and senior management.
- Provide guidance and structure to the Assistant Managers, Leads, Coordinators and other key personnel in the department to properly delegate areas of responsibility and manage the outcome of these projects and job responsibilities.
50% Operations and Sales:
- Responsible for driving top line and bottom line for the Tasting Room.
- Positively impact top and bottom line revenue across all DTC departments.
- Have a thorough and comprehensive understanding of the department’s financials and their effective use in running the business. Must be able to effectively communicate this information to senior management and keep them informed of the department’s sales, opportunities, and challenges.
- Work together with DTC department management teams to set goals, implement promotions, and contribute to strategies.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of Tasting Room; including tastings, tours, experiences and VIP/Trade relations. Ensure standards are maintained at all times, including for safety and visual.
- Set the example for excellence in service, teamwork, company standards and safety.
- Responsible for proper cash handling, daily accounting, sales tracking and business analysis.
- Uphold customer service policies, procedures and practices.
- Troubleshoot customer complaints and resolve major conflicts with orders, delivery dates or service related issues.
- Contribute to the writing the annual budget.
- Review monthly P&L and have through understanding of opportunities and challenges. Take appropriate actions to keep the department on track to meet expectations.
- Proactively develop strategies to increase traffic, revenue, contribution, and other metrics to grow the business. Take necessary steps to pivot and redirect, through business and revenue shifts.
- Oversee and maintain accurate inventories for both wine and non-wine merchandise to minimize shrinkage.
- Proactively manage guest experience, mitigating challenges and risk.
- Act as staff resource for facts and information on general company and wine knowledge for the multiple businesses owned by the Coppola Family.
- Suggest and oversee improvements to existing tasting room operational processes and procedures.
- Accurately process transactions on register system of wine and non-wine retail products, wrapping of merchandise, processing forms for shipment of wine and non-wine retail products.
- Assist in the coordination and execution of all internal tasting room related events, delegating tasks as needed.
- Ensure compliance with all laws related to wine/alcohol service.
- Ensure compliance with all company and governmental requirements and regulations regarding safety.
- Consistently work on the floor in Hospitality, to support customer service and staff.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Tasting Room Assistant Managers, Tasting Room Leads, Associates, Inventory Coordinator(s) and Runners.
- BA or BS degree (preferably in business or marketing), from college or university; or five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Customer Service focused with a sincere desire to create a memorable guest experience.
- Strong sales background.
- Experience and understanding of business financial reporting.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Wine and culinary knowledge and passion.
- Warm, personable demeanor.
- Experience in team building and mentoring.
- Self-motivated and professional with the ability to multi-task and prioritize workload.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Highly organized, accurate and detail oriented.
- Ability to maintain a positive work atmosphere by communicating effectively with clients, management, peers, and subordinates.
- Computer proficiency in basic database management, MS Office, (Word, Excel), Internet, RMS.
- Weekends, Holidays and some evenings required.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- TIPS certified or certification within 90 days of employment.
- CA Food Handlers Certification required.
N (Not Applicable)-Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally)-Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0-2.5 + hrs/day)
F (Frequently)-Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5-5.5 + hrs/day)
C (Constantly)-Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5 + hrs/day)
Stand-C, Walk-F, Sit-O, Handling/Fingering-C, Reaching Outward-C, Reaching Above Shoulder-F Climb-O, Crawl-N, Squat or Kneel-O, Bend-F, Working at the Computer-F
Other Physical Requirements
10 lbs or Less
12 lbs or Less
Vision (Near, Distance)
11 lbs to 20 lbs
13 lbs to 25 lbs
Sense of Sound (i.e. Machinery/Tractor Sounds)
21 lbs to 50 lbs
26 lbs to 40 lbs
Sense of Touch
51 lbs to 100 lbs
41 lbs to 100 lbs
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (steel toe boots, safety glasses)
Over 100 lbs
Over 100 lbs
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
About The Family Coppola
The Family Coppola encompasses all of the things Francis loves most—cinema, wine, food, resorts and adventure—and embraces quality, authenticity and pleasure as a backbone to each of these vibrant business endeavors.
Our people are driven by the cultural values of respect, integrity, innovation, passion, teamwork, and embracing change. Our employees love working here for our sense of “family” community. We’ve been recognized as one of The Best Places to Work in the North Bay multiple years in a row.